Saturday, April 4, 2009

Ann, can I be like you when I grow up?

I found a new hero on Thursday listening to Ann Cannon (Deseret News columnist and author) talk about the art of loving yourself.  Who doesn't need a reminder about that every now and then (or even more often than that).  

The given topic was art in everyday life, and instead of talking about dancing, painting, writing, and everything else cliche, she decided to talk about how we are works of art and how we should appreciate ourselves--and be comfortable in our own skin--something Ann has certainly mastered.

When Ann explained her philosophy of "everything is humorous in retrospect" it was everything I could do from jumping up and yelling "amen."  I don't think I'll ever forget that. Humor, at least for me, is very important in appreciating myself (I have to laugh off a lot of uh-oh's and oopsie-daisies). It reminds me of a favorite quote, "He who laughs at himself will never cease to be amazed." And Ann reminded me that we should all be amazed with ourselves.

Amidst talking about creativity, humor, Dr. Pepper mishaps, real life family blunders, and her/our list of "I will be happy when..." she suggested we can do appreciation audits  (as Dan Baker mentions in What Happy People Know). 

An appreciation audit is exactly what it sounds like---take time to be grateful for what you have...some do it by making lists or journaling, others simply meditate. Doing this helps us be satisfied with what we have right now, and helps us love ourselves right now, rather than wishing or worrying about what we might become. 

I have taken this challenge on and created my own appreciation audit blog. I don't know what it will turn into, or how often I'll remember to do it, but I do know that it makes sense that I should do it often. Anyone care to join me?

3 comments:

  1. Wow! THIS IS SO NICE! Thank you--and my guess is that you've got it way, way, WAY more together than I did when I was your age.

    Thanks again for making my weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I was just reading your blog when I got your comment on mine! Sounds like life is great for you guys. It's been a while since I've been in the blogger world, I feel so out of touch...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candace, what a great idea and I appreciate you for sharing!


    Hannah

    ReplyDelete