Monday, October 6, 2008

Let's get the rythm of the head...ding dong

Hostess can call their cream-filled desserts anything they'd like, but they'll never come close to what's cooked-up the good old fashioned way.

I've made eclairs for the first time...and I have learned a few things...
  • They are overpriced in bakeries
  • You should always sift your powder sugar if you don't want lumpy frosting
  • Custard is much better than instant pudding, but the ladder is much easier to make and still delicious.
  • Your eaters may be expecting a flower on top, but you don't have to give it to them

I used this recipe. I normally don't follow recipes very closely, but I only made a few changes to this one and they were pretty good. I think I'd change the chocolate next time--to0 runny, but really yummy.

And, because my sister-in-law Maren sent me a link to one of my favorite childhood songs/rythms...and I can't get it out of my head, I thought I'd pass it along. If the title of this post sounded familiar...you'll want to click here.

4 comments:

  1. yum! Those sound delicious! very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks SO good! Didn't you make eclairs with me and Mary that one time? Maybe not. Anyhow, they look amazing...even without a flower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha! no, I didn't--in fact that's why I wanted to make them because I remembered Mary saying how easy they were and I didn't believe her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me.

    Will you do me a favor? Becca Maxfield reads my blog. I can't read hers because I don't have an invitation. Will you post a comment on her blog asking her to invite me? Why can she read mine when I cant' read hers?

    I'm glad we're both baking.

    ReplyDelete