Thursday, April 24, 2008

runners + 6 a.m. + inspiration = the SLC marathon


Last Saturday I was assigned to help out with the Salt Lake Marathon. My main post was the 5K, but I was able to catch a glimpse of the craziness behind the whole event...the marathon, the bike race, the 5K, the kid's marathon...the half marathon...yeah, that covers it, I think.

At the marathon finish line I watched in shock as the elite runners crossed. I was charged with making sure they weren't attacked by media before they were rested and ready for interviews. It was a bit hectic, but as I congratulated some very tired and pleased Africans, I caught more than just the spirit and energy of simply running fast and winning the race. The winner ran for more than the love of the sport--he will take home the prize money--enough to feed his entire village for a year. How much money is it!? $5,000.

So yes, the Marathon inspired me not so much to run, but to be grateful that I don't have to run 26 miles in 2 hours in order for my family and friends to be able to eat for the next year.

Here I am after the 5K started. It was fun to pretend...


Here's the crew I work with...EVERY DAY. We have fun. I love these guys.

3 comments:

  1. So true-I am also glad that I don't have to run marathons in order to provide for life's necessities! It looks like you have a fun job! :) Did you get an invitation to Jamie's baby shower? I sent one for you in Mono's envelope to save a stamp! :) Let me know if you'll be able to come! It would be fun to see you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so fun. I don't think I'll ever run a marathon, but I definitely admire people who do. That's cool that you got to see all the behind-the-scenes stuff. Also, to answer your question about the swim skirts, you can wear them as cover-ups or in the water because they are made out of the same fabric as a regular swimsuit. Hope that clarifies!
    Brittney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marathon energy is crazy-- I ran the Deseret News Marathon (ghetto version of the SLC marathon) 5 years ago, and it was the best kind of sore ever. The New York Marathon runs pretty much right past our house, and I vow to run it every year. Maybe next year-- I will have to get the "baby fat" off somehow!

    ReplyDelete